Country Base: USA
Industry/Sector/Keywords: Institutions, Nonprofits, Animal Welfare, Fundraising, Retail Stores
Below: Before and After Images in Slide Show, Summary, Credits
Ark Antiques is a 501(c)(3) volunteer-supported organization benefiting animal welfare charities. It operates a retail store in La Jolla, California that sells donated and consigned jewelry, china, crystal, sterling, antique furniture, fine art and more. Annual profits fund grants to deserving beneficiaries.
A recession-weakened economy, leadership changes, and strong competition for quality merchandise has given the board of directors plenty to think about for years. Marketing was not always atop that list. Their non-responsive website lacked content, functionality. The organization lacked a social media presence. The board took action.
Ark Antiques is known by local consignors, beneficiaries and the community as “The Ark”. After discussion, the board approved our proposed name change and logo. Our communication strategy focused on three core messages expressed in the tagline: “Shop. Share. Save animals”. These simple concepts inspired everything that followed.
A responsive new website was written, designed, developed—eventually displaying over 200 beautifully photographed items. A Facebook page was rejuvenated with weekly content. Magazine, newspaper and tourism directory advertising resumed at increased spending levels. A modest design system for business cards, stationery, forms, brochures, bags and point-of-purchase materials was implemented.
• 75% of the merchandise—over 150 items—presented on The Ark’s website sold within 90 days;
• Although the website was built without e-commerce capabilities, enthusiastic “email buyers” hail from several US states to Turkey.
• 2015 YTD sales exceeded 2014 sales by 15%;
• Facebook page-Likes have grown over 500% in four months;
• The Ark’s small but capable staff has been trained and is now maintaining the Facebook page;
• Grant applications are up—as are inquiries from many new animal welfare charities;
• Foot traffic, volunteer interest and participation, and overall public awareness is up (anecdotally);
• And by December 31, 2015, The Ark had surpassed over $2,000,000 in total charitable donations to qualified local and national animal welfare organizations since 2003.
Client: The Ark (Ark Antiques) – www.arkantiques.org
Board President: Elizabeth Davidson
Brand Strategists/Designers: Brand Focus LLC – www.brandfocused.com
Marketing & Brand Strategy: Tom Davis
Creative Director: Tom Davis
Art Director/Designer: Tom Davis
Copywriters: Tom Davis/Patty Davis/Elizabeth Davidson
Website Development Partner: John Dennis/Studio Activ8
Facebook and Digital Marketing Partner: Molly Hintlian/Digital M
SEO and Digital Marketing Partner: Stewart Jensen/Sam Rufo/NXT Concepts
Illustrator: Steve Klinkel
Photography: Tom Davis